28 March 2008

Sunrise

From D. A. Carson (in this review of Peter Enns' controversial work):

When I was a boy of about nine or ten, my father called me over to listen to him reading an editorial or a letter to the editor (I cannot remember which) in The Montreal Star, one of the leading papers in eastern Canada at the time. The writer was inveighing against all those stupid Christians who believe the Bible is the Word of God, when it speaks so ignorantly of the sun "rising" in the east: any schoolboy knows that the sun does not rise, but that the earth rotates on its axis. My father asked me what I thought of the argument. I looked at him rather nonplused. He grinned, and calmly turned to the front page of the paper, and drew my attention to the line, "Sunrise: 6:36 am."

4 comments:

Agkyra said...

That's brilliant! Thanks for pointing that out. I had to copy and paste the whole review into my word processor for later reading. It turns out to be 46 pages, single-spaced!

ErinOrtlund said...

Dane, what do you think of Enns' book? I heard he's been suspended from Westminster over it.

Dane Ortlund said...

Erin, haven't read it. From the exchanges I've followed b/n Enns and Beale, though, as well as from Carson's review, I expect I would have some significant problems with it. But I can't in honesty assess until I read it cover to cover.

ErinOrtlund said...

Thanks Dane, I'll look forward to hearing your impressions. I should probably read it for myself too.